A REPORT ON URBAN DESIGN (A CASE STUDY OF PART OF LOKOJA METROPOLIS I.E. NEW LAYOUT, COMMENTARY, CINIMAL, HOLY TRINITY, BAPTIST CHURCH AND ALHARI LOKOJA KOGI STATE)
NUMBERS PAGES: 60 RESEARCH TYPE:- PROJECT AMOUNT :- ₦2500
Urban design is a collaborator and multidisciplinary process of shaping the physical environment for life in cities, towns that is in urban areas.
According to “Peter Buchana” urban design is about how to recapture certain of the qualities that we associate with the traditional city, a sense of order, place, continuity, richness of experience completeness and belonging urban design lies somewhere between the broad-brush abstractions of planning and the concrete and the concrete specifics of architecture.
Urban design is concerned with analyzing, organizing and shaping urban form so as to elaborate as richly as coherently as possible they lived experience of the inhabitants. It is the process of designing and shaping cities and towns it deals with the larger scale of groups of buildings, street and public spaces, whole neigboourhood and district and entire cities with the goal of making urban areas functional, attractive and sustainable.
This theory deals primarily with the design and management of public space i.e. the public environment, public realm or public domain, and the way public spaces are experienced and used. Public spaces include the totality of spaces used freely by a day to day basis by the general public, such as streets, plazas, park and public infrastructure. Some aspects of privately owned spaces, such as building facades or domestic gardens, also contribute to public space and are therefore also considered by urban design theory.
1.1. FIELD OBSERVATION
This involves physical and direct examination of physical and existing situation of the study area.
- Rekey survey:- This is also known as recognizance survey. The rekey survey was carried out to check features such as the area covered, land form major boundary e.t.c
- Taping:- Involve line and direct measurement of the existing structures as well as to determine the total land mass or area. From observation and practical confirmation, the study area has a total land area of about 442500m2 (metre square) and 44.25 hecter respectively.
- Site analysis:- The sun rise from the Eastand set at West as usually water run off from West North to the South East of the study area. Morning wind direction is to North-West afternoon wind direction to North while evening wind direction to East. We have or observes four (4) well water half functioned. While on circulation, the Angera tile area has planned circulating but others are not planned to standard.
- Demolition:- This involve the pulling and falling down of building/structures as well as tree and created signpost during the cause of upgrading the quality and standard of facilities in the study area, 51 houses were touched or demolish for proper implementation of the new proposal aside trees and others.
- Circulation:- About 75% of the existing roads are from to accident due to unusual curves and bends and undefined junction. Also some of the roads terminate to or at the middle of residents. Still on circulation, part of the liberty hotel street has not been tauded up till nor due to political bus during the administration of Alh, Ibrahim Idris as a prominent member of the street withdraw this support from his political affairs.
- Physical condition of buildings:- Generally, the condition of buildings in the study area is fear with just few standard houses such as school. There is a duple building behind or at back of international hotel off Hassan Otokiti close collapsing beyond repair, proper attention must be given to this situation to ensure safety of life of residents within the area.
- Site platting:- The platting of the study area is may in the same shape some play are bigger than others while others are in irregular shape given some part of the study area difficulty for circulation and open space.
- Government baise:- In the study area we discoved that the government upgraded some part of the accessibility while they left others because of political issue.
1.2 THE STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
- Poor and inadequate drainage facilities
- Inadequate water supply
- Poor electric supply
- Poor hosing condition
- Improper refuse waste disposal
- Poor circulation
1.3 THE AIM AND OBJECTIVE
The aim of this work is to make necessary provisions and improvements on infrastructure in order too improve on their standard of living.
- To make provisions for adequate drainage facilities
- To provide for adequate water supply
- Making provisions for proper refuse disposal to ensure a good housing condition
- To improve on the standard of circulation
1.4 SCOPE AND LIMITATION
The work some part of Lokoja metropolis i.e. new layout, cemetery, cinema, holy trinity, Baptist, Alheri. And the issues of the problems faced in that area are discussed and how the problem can be solved.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will help to access the quality of the existing facilities of the area. And also the problems facing there, and the factor responsible for it. While help create a better living environment.
1.6 STUDY AREA
The study area has mixed occupation, some are self-employed while others are civil servant. The area is mainly for residential and few public and commercial land use.
The study area (part of Lokoja metropolis) is located at latitude 70 48’0”N and longitude 6044’0”E. it is among the first settlement found in Lokoja. It is in this area that one can find the government house and also the G.R.A of kogi state as a whole, the area is know to be a centre of different commercial activities in Lokoja metropolis.
1.8 CLIMATE AND RAINFALL
The study are lies in the middle but Zone. It has a average rainfall of 1300mm-1800mm and temperature of about 350c to 400c.
28 – 380c
It falls within the Sudan savannah but of the vegetation of Nigeria. It is found north of decides forest Zone. The grasses found in this but are usually very short and tall, hence they receive up to 1000mm of rainfall annually and the duration not less than 4-5 month (April-September).
The people that first build house in that area were Hassan Okiti and Idamodu Muhammed (a.k.a. Bawahala) before others started to develop. The settlement is a part of Lokoja metropolis and it emerged as a result of the relocation of the Tiv people. The relocation happened due to the need for the NEPA officials to find an office.
The first Christian worship centre in the united evangelical church (UEC).
The name “new layout” is used because the place was a former proposed G.R.A.
Thus, both state and local government allocated plots of land for people.
There is no general culture due to difference in ethnicity. The ethnic group includes Yourba, Ebira, Kakanda, Nupe, Koto, Bassa, Tir, Igala, Igbos
chapter one. Chapter two relate to literature review and theoretical framework concerning urbanization and its challenges. The research method is outlined in chapter three while the responses from the questionnaire respondents were presented and discussed in chapter four. Concluding comments in chapter five reflects on summary, conclusion and recommendations.
97 total views, no views today